I mean, I would have much preferred Alice or Nacchan.
I think my only real objection is that she's 164 centimeters. While Kiriyan claims to be 167 centimeters, I'm pretty sure she's lying. That's only about an inch in height difference o.O
In other news, poor Chiaki T__________T She was awfully cute as Louis Capet in Pimpernel.
ETA: Lest I sound like I'm complaining too much, at least we have a top musumeyaku now. It's about time!!!!
Somehow I think I'm enjoying this Schrodinger's Cat period ^^; Even if something is extremely unlikely, it's comforting to know that the very small possibility is there, rather than having it dashed completely.
That being said, I'm interested in the actual show announcements. If there really is a tsukigumi Pimpernel...I may not necessarily like whatever top musumeyaku they pick, but the idea of Kiriyan as Percy makes my brain break in happy ways.
*goes back to compulsively refreshing the homepage for the next two to three weeks*
Now I remember why I haven't been translating so much lately...because it takes forever. Comments are highly appreciated XD
"Especial Time ~As You Like~": Hokushou Kairi and Yuzuki Reon
(Graph March 2009)
Disclaimer: I’m just an amateur who does these for fun and to improve my Japanese. My apologies for any mistakes contained within. Do not repost or retranslate without getting permission first.
Many, many thanks to jess_in_japan for putting up with my grammar questions. Also lots of thanks to sumire_no_hana who was VERY generous in indulging a highly impatient fangirl with a scan of this article about 48 hours after it was published XD( Micchan and Chie talk about sneaking around the set of Nova Bossa Nova, cooking, adlibs, blood types, and more )
I'm really excited for this cast. Tomomi and Haya fops! (Although does anyone remember who the character of フォークス is? Is he in the League?)
ETA: sumire_no_hana just pointed out the obvious: Toyoko will be playing Sir Andrew Ffoulkes! In the books he's a fairly prominent character, a member of the League, and one of Percy's best friends. His character was cut from the musical because in English his name sounds too much like a certain four letter word. But since you don't have that problem in Japanese, it looks like he's back!
Also interestingly, Koto Marie will be playing the character of Suzanne. In the books, Suzanne is a noble (I think) saved from the guillotine by Percy and company who goes on to marry Andrew. I wonder if this plot line will be explored at all? This makes me wonder if I'm right about my theory that the script/songs are being expanded to give Toyoko and Shii more to do.
The only thing I can think of is that they're making some last minute casting decisions.
Aaagh, I already spent today going crazy at work waiting for roles to come out. And I'm going to have to do it again tomorrow. *glares at Hankyu* It had better be up by the end of tomorrow! Not to mention shinko leads. I'm basing my travel plans on whether Nene or Mariya gets the shinko lead. (Cate, am I missing anyone else for that one?)
Looks like they've decided to stay away from blond!Touko. Hmm, it's a little strange for Percy not to be a blond, but Touko looks quite lovely as it is so I'm not complaining.
I do hope they remember that the show is a comedy, though -_-;
- Originally I complained that Touko’s costume, while pretty, was too dark for the tone of the show. When you see her wearing it live you can see that it’s actually kind of glittery. I now think that it fits the character of Percy very well. Oh, and obviously Touko looks hot :D
- They sang two songs. One was “The Riddle.” The other…I actually didn’t recognize. It was a solo for Touko. I guess Frank Wildhorn wrote a new song. I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be more, as he's never been shy about tweaking this show before. I don’t mind the addition of new songs, just so long as they don’t cut any of the existing songs! I worry that “I’ll Forget You” will be cut, simply because Takarazuka is cruel in its treatment of musumeyaku.
(If I haven’t mentioned it before, I am greatly, greatly amused that Frank Wildhorn, who has had troubled being accepted by Broadway critics for years, may finally have found his calling in
In other Frank Wildhorn related news, I was reading an older Kiriyan article where she was asked which role she’d like to play. She mentioned Jekyll/Hyde from Frank Wildhorn’s Jekyll and Hyde. (Kiriyan wears a Jekyll and Hyde t-shirt in the Nova Bossa Nova shinko program). I really hope I’m not jinxing myself by saying this *knocks on lots of wood*, but I can’t really see anyone except for Kiriyan becoming top star of tsuki after Asako. They have to give her a western musical during her time as top, as Kiriyan loves western musicals. I actually haven’t seen or listened to Jekyll and Hyde. Is it too dark for Takarazuka? *scratches head*
- I'm trying to adjust to the sight of Blond Hair!Touko, but I think it'll definitely grow on me. (Besides, it would be a little strange if Percy didn't have blond hair, now that I think about it). *scratches head* Except she wasn't blond on the first publicity picture that went up on the site earlier...oh well, I guess that wasn't a final design anyway.
- According to the article, Touko sang 「ひとかけらの勇気」 (I think this is "Into the Fire") and Touko, Chie, and Asuka sang 「謎解きのゲーム」 (The Riddle). I am praying that this is on the news tomorrow, or at the very least that it shows up on the website soon.
- The casting of Chie as Chauvelin doesn't surprise me, and I think she'll be wonderful. The only thing is I always got the impression from the books and the Broadway musical that Chauvelin wasn't supposed to be younger than Percy... Oh well ^^;; I'm really curious about where Tatsuki You and Suzumi Shio will be cast. I'm guessing they'll end up as either Armand (Marguerite's younger brother), Andrew (Percy's best friend), or Tussaud (a guy who Percy ends up saving).
- For those of you who aren't familiar with Pimpernel, there's an absolutely wonderful number in the middle in which Percy teaches the other members of the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel how to be fops. They wear some pretty outrageous costumes in the process. I always wondered how Takarazuka would deal with this, given that even "normal" costumes in Takarazuka tend to be pretty outrageous. My idea way back when was that originally everyone would be costumed very starkly, so then when Percy begins to dress like a fop there would be a contrast. Judging from the pictures on ENAK this may be the route they're taking (because really, Broadway!Percy would never wear black ;) ). Have I mentioned how happy I am that Koike "I Made Luna, Bara no Fuuin, and Many Other Beautiful Pieces of Crack" Shuuichiro will be directing?